Monday, May 2, 2011

Lighten Up and Laugh

One thing I have learned about marriage is that you need to be able to laugh.  Laughter is one of the greatest healing gifts we have been given.  It is amazing what happens when you laugh and how you feel when you do.  We have a tendency in marriage to get so caught up in all the problems, drama, and hard parts of it, that we forget to find the joy, the excitement and the laughter in life.  We especially need to learn to laugh at ourselves.  We need to realize our weaknesses and embrace them and when things don't go exactly as planned we need to be able to laugh at ourselves and our follies.  If we are just having a hard day or a hard time, go find a movie you love and that makes you laugh.  Get out, do whatever it takes to realize there is so much good in this life.  I know when things are getting rough, I am very fortunate, because my husband is very witty and helps me to laugh a lot, but there are times when I have to reverse it and I need to help him ligthen up and get him to laugh. 
His favorite one was when we was digging a hole in the back yard and it was a HUGE pain, it was taking forever because we obviously have clay in our soil.  He was getting so upset doing it, so the sweet wife I am, I just took a huge pile of mud and came up right behind him and smoothered it all over his back and head.  You should have seen his face when he turned around, it was first a look of great shock and then surprise, and then the smile came on and the mud fight was on.  What a fond memory for us.  You need to do this, when life gets hard, find a way to laugh and help lighten each other up through very stressful times.

No comments: